The Church of St. Teresa of the Child Jesus is dedicated to St. Teresa of Lisieux, the Little Flower. It is a relatively small red brick building built in 1953 and situated in its own extensive grounds – the land for the building of the church was kindly donated by the National Coal Board. The walls of the church were blessed on 2nd December, 1953 and the church was opened shortly afterwards by Bishop McCormack on 17th December, 1953. Two parishioners had supplied and fitted the altar rails and other parishioners contributed to the purchase of the Stations of the Cross. The parish boundaries were formed by altering the existing boundaries of St. Joseph’s Parish, Stanley and St. Patrick’s Parish, Dipton. A grotto showing Our Lady and the Child Jesus is situated in the grounds outside the front of the church and presbytery. Throughout the life of the parish the church has been reordered and extended as required. In 1972 the church was extended to add an area for combined church/social use. Fr. Cornelius O’Connor, the present parish priest, resides at All Saints Church in Lanchester and retired priest Fr. Bernard Pitt lives in the presbytery at Annfield Plain. All Saints and St. Teresa’s now work together, sharing a number of church services and social events. Social events are an important aspect of parish life. These
include a monthly Pie, Pea and Bingo session and a Luncheon Club is held on the first Wednesday of each month. Both are open to all members of the local community.